- You can connect a PS4 controller to your PS4 console using a USB cable.
- You can also use the USB cable to charge your controller.
- You will need to use the first connected controller to connect additional controllers to your PS4.
- Visit Insider’s Technical Reference Library for more stories.
If you’re new to the PlayStation 4 console, you might be feeling a bit behind the basics. For example, you might not know how to connect and use wireless controllers. While the controllers can be used wirelessly – assuming they’re charged – you’ll need to use the micro-USB cable that came with them to start using a controller.
And while you can connect up to four controllers to your PS4 at a time, the process is different for the first controller than the subsequent ones.
Here’s what you need to know to connect and charge your PS4 controllers.
How to connect your PS4 controller
1. Turn on your console.
2. Plug the USB end of the controller cable into the USB port on the console, then connect the other end to the controller. The ports are located on the front of the console and at the top center of the controller.
3. press the PS button, located in the center of the controller. You will see a light appear on the back of the controller when it is properly connected.
4. Once connected, you can unplug the cable and use your wireless controller, assuming it is charged.
How to charge a PS4 controller
1. To check the current charge level of your controller, press and hold the PS button, and the controller charging progress will appear on your screen.
2. To charge a PlayStation 4 controller, simply connect it to the PS4 console using the USB cable that came with the system.
3. As long as the PS4 is on (it may be in rest mode), the controller will start charging. You can charge up to two controllers at a time.
How to connect another PS4 controller
1. Using your synced controller, navigate to your PS4 Settings, located above the home menu.
2. To choose Devices.
3. To select Bluetooth devices.
4. Press and hold the PS button and the Share button on the controller you want to pair for five seconds.
5. When the controller has been paired, you will see it appear on the device list on your screen.
If that doesn’t work and you need to troubleshoot, check out our article on what to do if your the controller does not connect to your PS4.