The latest version of advanced metrology software for coordinate measuring machines from Mitutoyo America Corp. offers support in 37 separate locations and in 12 different languages. MCosmos Version 5.0 differs from its predecessor with upgrades in interface, functions and performance. Most notable is the new streamlined graphical user interface: the updates there are not only visually pleasing, but are also supposed to help improve the user experience, regardless of their level of knowledge of the tool. These changes include easy-to-use “ribbons” and a much-requested search function, helping operators find specific sections of their measurement process for detailed reporting.
Photo credit: Mitutoyo America Corp.
Key features and capabilities of Mitutoyo’s MCosmos v.5 software suite include:
▪ New graphical user interface – Modeled with a modern design, this new graphical interface improves the previous version with a simplified and attractive display of the modules.
▪ Optimization for large CAD files – Great strides have been made in optimizing Mitutoyo for large CAD files compared to their previous software versions, reducing processing time and improving the overall operation of MCosmos.
▪ Item search – Designed to assist the user in their quest for specific programmed elements of their measurement processes, error corrections and detailed reports.
▪ 3D topographic view – Added in this recent release of MCosmos is the ability to use a three-dimensional display of engineered surface geometry and microstructure, including visualization of tolerance zones, giving operators a more detailed view of their part. This is especially convenient when operators use non-contact measurement methods.
▪ GD&T reports – With a new modern design template, tabular layout and tolerance value graphs, this newly added feature is becoming a standard among inspection reports, making it easy to summarize actual positions and tolerancing of parts.
▪ Adjustable ribbons – The selection menu will come in the form of “ribbons” that offer easy-to-use functions for operators, such as resizable icons, customizable sections, parts lists and a docking layout.
▪ Spot displays – These numbers are placed with accurate 3D representations in thousands of points on your part and display a tolerance indication based on their color. And to shorten the rendering time, the possibility to switch the points from the 3D representation to the 2D representation of the points is possible.
▪ Revision management – Prevents the use of unverified programs, by not allowing restricted users or the measurement programs themselves to run when changed. Reports created using this feature are also tamper-proof and exported in PPDF format.
▪ Accelerate execution – Disables unnecessary graphics during the execution phase of the process, saving resources to speed up part programs.
▪ Improved mouse operation – Modeled to be the same as in MiCAT Planner or other CAD operating software, everything can be controlled via mouse as well as hotkeys for experienced users.
▪ Pen and device builder – The Pen and Accessory Builder comes standard with MCosmos 5, making it easy to build the right pens or accessories for your task.
▪ Quick access toolbar – A feature that allows the operator to create a custom quick access bar independent of the standard ribbon structure for frequently used functions.